Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Soup is good, I mean it just is.

I love soup.  I think I've told all of you this before. So I've decided I am making one of two soups this weekend.  Although I did just see the forecast and I don't care.  I will use the old adage I heard long ago "Eat some soup, it will cool you down."  Well I have narrowed it down to a large pot of soup that has cheese in it.  That narrows it down right? It should however there is an entire internet of soups with cheese in them. Ultimately I narrowed it down to one I haven't had in years and another I just really want to try.  So here goes, this weekends soups, and by the way........I'm not above making both of them.


Full Moon Cafe Tortilla Soup

1/2 Gallon Chicken stock
1/2 tsp. white pepper
Combine these ingredients and bring to a boil
To thicken make a roux.
1/2 C. butter
1/2 C. flour
Melt butter. Stir in flour. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and thickened.
Stir roux into chicken stock.
1 C. Monterey Jack and Cheddar cheese mixed.
1 pint half and half
2 teaspoons diced jalapenos
1 (10 ounce) can Rotel tomatoes with chilies
1 C. cooked, diced chicken meat (Full Moon marinates chicken in fajita seasonings)
Add cheese to stock and stir until melted. Add remaining ingredients to stock and heat. To hold, place soup in top of double boiler over hot water. To serve sprinkle individual servings with strips of flour tortillas that has been deep-fried. Garnish with a dollop of guacamole and mixed cheese.

(Just a side note, I will be making my own tortilla strips by cutting tortilla's into strips and pan fried, it's really easy.)

And I couldn't get the picture for this soup but it looks good, does that help?


Triple D Cheeseburger Soup
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp table salt
8 oz Kraft Velveeta Light Reduced-Fat Pasteurized Processed Cheese Product
1 medium onion(s)
1 cup(s) Iceberg lettuce
1 cup(s) tomato(es)
3 cup(s) fat-free chicken broth
1 pound(s) cooked extra lean ground beef

1/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp I Can't Believe It's Not Butter! Buttery
1 cup(s) fat-free skim milk

Instructions

In a Dutch oven, spray butter and sweat onion until translucent, remove. Add ground beef, season with salt & pepper and cook until browned and a bit crispy, drain. (Next time I will make actual patties and grill them to get more of a burger taste) remove from pan.
Add your chicken stock, & flour slurry, bring to boil scrapping bits off the bottom. Add half & half and Velveeta. Cook until all the cheese is melted, not boiling. Add in onion & hamburger.
Season to taste and lower heat. Cover and cook for about an 1 hour. Add the tomatoes and lettuce, stir and serve.

1 comment:

  1. I really need you to figure out Wolfgang Puck's Butternut Squash soup recipe. That is a soup I could have every day!!

    ReplyDelete