I love Wisconsin, beer cheese soup
- 1 1/2 cups diced onion
- 1 1/2 cups diced carrots
- 1 1/2 cups diced celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons whte ground pepper
- 3 cans chicken broth
- 2 bottles of dark beer
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 4 cups milk
- 6 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, stir together carrots, onion, celery, and garlic. Stir in salt, and pepper. Pour in chicken broth and beer; simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20-25 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, heat butter in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Stir in flour with a wire whisk; cook, stirring until the flour is light brown, about 3 or 4 minutes. Gradually stir in milk, whisking to prevent scorching, until thickened. Remove from heat, and gradually stir in cheese. Keep warm.
- Stir beer mixture into cheese mixture. Stir in Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, white ground pepper, and dry mustard. Adjust for hot pepper sauce. Bring to a simmer, and cook 20 minutes.
If you like heat you can add some cayenne and hot sauce however the chil'ren don't do hot, so I'm limited to white ground pepper.