Thursday, November 11, 2010

Grand Lake Dip

So, I meant to do this the other night when I actually made it but I got busy.  SO now as I finish up the last of it I decided this dip is blog worthy.  This dip has been near and dear to my heart ever since I can remember.  I would always get almost giddy when I knew my mother was making it because she only made at certain times of the year.  Well, really one time a year and any other time was just bonus and very unusual.  Once a year when my mother hosted Bunco at our house I knew this dip was coming and I always called first bowl before all the ladies got to the house and I had to leave.  So when I got older and moved out I remember the first time I made it just because I wanted it. I felt very grown up :) I know it sounds weird but it's true.  I even remember calling my mother and basically telling her "I made Grand Lake Dip just because it's Thursday, so HA!"  So here it is, it's not even hard, it's really so easy!
p.s.~~~ I never knew why it was called that.......and I have tweeked it a little over the years as well....sorry mom :)

GRAND LAKE DIP:

1lb. turkey sausage
1 box of velveeta
2 cans rotel
1 small onion
garlic powder
1 tbsp mince garlic

Brown the sausage, diced onion, and garlic together until the sausage is done.  Cut the velveeta into smaller, easier to melt pieces.  Open the rotel, draining one can so it's not to watery.  Drain meat if necessary, I noticed when I changed it to turkey it wasn't necessary.  Turn heat down to medium.  Add velveeta and rotel to the meat mixture.  Season with garlic powder to taste.  Make sure to watch your heat or the cheese will burn on the bottom, stir often.

When this is finished on the stove you can move it to your crock pot to take with you and keep warm.  If you make it in the crock pot the consistency isn't right and it looks lumpy or curdy.

Well enjoy!  This is a great winter weekend treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment